Thank you very much for your interest in Southwest Review. We look forward to reading your work.
Please bear in mind that regular manuscripts will not be accepted during the months of June, July, and August. Contest manuscripts are accepted at any time prior to their entry deadline. Simultaneous submissions are permitted. Please notify us immediately if the work has been accepted elsewhere. SwR does not consider work that has been published previously.
Due to the volume of submissions, the editors cannot respond with suggestions or comments.
SwR is published quarterly. Authors receive nominal payment upon publication and five gratis copies of the issue(s) in which their work appears.
The Morton Marr Poetry Prize is an endowment by Marilyn Klepak of Dallas in honor of her father, whose love of poetry has encouraged her to pass this love on to others. First place is $1,000 and second place is $500. Both winning poems will be published in SwR.
- Contest is open to any writer who has not published a book of poetry.
- You may enter up to six poems, but they must be entered one at a time. The reading fee is five dollars per poem.
- Only unpublished, formal poems are eligible: sonnets, sestinas, villanelles, rhymed stanzas, blank verse, et al.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Name and address should appear only on the cover letter.
- Entries must be submitted by September 30, 2019.
- Poems will not be returned.